Stop and Think Campaign
- It is not an offence to possess a gel blaster in Queensland.
- There are no legal restrictions on the storage of gel blasters in Queensland. However, when possessing a gel blaster in a public place the item should be carried in a way that is not visible to the public, so it will not cause alarm to any person.
- There are no restrictions on the sale of gel blasters in Queensland.
- Use of gel blasters is a responsibility of the person in possession of the item.
- It is an offence to modify a gel blaster if it has the capacity to fire ammunition as defined in the Explosive Regulation 2017.
- You do not need a weapons licence to possess a gel blaster.
- You cannot use a Gel Blaster on a paint pellet shooting gallery when paint ball guns are in use.
- Each state and territory possesses its own policies relevant to gel blasters. For any questions in relation to another authority you will need to contact the relevant authority in that state or territory directly.
O - Offences for misusing a gel blaster
Unlawfully entering onto someone else’s land to use a gel blaster
- Trespass from Summary Offences Act 2005
Discharging pointing or threatening the use of a gel blaster on another person without permission and causing them injury
- Possession of implement in relation to particular offences from Summary Offences Act 2005.
- Threatening violence - discharge firearms from Criminal Code.
- Common assault from Criminal Code.
- Assault occasioning bodily harm from Criminal Code.
- Grievous bodily harm from Criminal Code. Robbery from Criminal Code.
Shooting animals with a gel blaster
- Animal cruelty prohibited from Animal Care and Protection Act 2001.
Causing fear or alarm to any person in a public place or in view of a public place whilst using or in possession of a gel blaster
- Going armed to cause fear from the Criminal Code.
Pointing a gel blaster at another person who believes the toy is a real weapon
Common assault from Criminal Code.
P- Penalties for misusing a gel blaster
If a person is found guilty of an offence where a gel blaster was used, they may receive a monetary penalty or term of imprisonment.